There are several things that makes Tyrion Lannister, also known as the Imp, the most awesome character in Game of Thrones.
1. Best Punchlines in Game of Thrones
Tyrion gets to deliver some of the best punchlines in Game of Thrones. His retorts to the snobbish Queen Cersei are just amazing.
Tyrion's quote when Jaime asks him about his intention of travelling to the Wall is simply unforgettable.Jaime: Tell me you're not thinking of taking The Black.
Tyrion: And go celibate? The whores would go begging from Casterly Rock. I just want to stand on the edge and piss off the end of the world.
It is admirable to watch Tyrion lash out at Cersei in front of a courtroom full of people waiting for him to be convicted of King Joffrey's murder.
2. Can crack a joke while being dead drunk
I have tremendous respect for a man who really knows how to hold his drinks, especially if he cracks hilarious jokes while holding those drinks. He spends a lot of his screen time drinking and making merry.
Tyrion to his father (on his wedding night): Drinking and lust , no man can match me in these things. I am the god of tits and wine.
3. Snubs Joffrey Time and AgainIf nothing else, you cannot help but love Tyrion for his superb retorts to the a**hole Joffrey. He is the one man in the series who gives the perfect retorts to the dick of a king every single time and leaves him trembling with rage.
Joffrey (to Tyrion): Everyone is mine to torment! You'd do well to remember that, you little monster.
Tyrion: Oh, ‘monster.’ Perhaps you should speak to me more softly then. Monsters are dangerous and, just now, kings are dying like flies.
Tyrion even slapped Joffrey, an audacity that even Tywin Lannister never showed, in spite of being in control of everything.Joffrey: You are talking to a king!!
Tyrion (after slapping Joffrey in the face): And now I've struck a king. Did my hand fall from my wrist?
4. Super-sharp and cunning, but not a devilTyrion was amazingly clever at fishing out the queen's spy within the Small Council. He leaked to Varys, Pycelle and Baelish about his plan to ship Cersei's daughter Mycella to 3 different locations. When Cersei confronted Tyrion about his plan, he immediately knew that Pycelle was behind it, based on the location revealed.
He proved his sheer genius by using "wildfire" on Stannis' army, killing hundreds of his men and sinking most of their ships. If not for his genius strategy, Kind's Landing would have been overtaken much before it got rescued by the Tyrell army.
5. Survives life-threatening situationsTyrion proves to be one of the most resourceful man in Westeros, only second to Petyr Baelish and Lord Varys. He shows some real courage that the other two lack.
- Tyrion leads the defence against Stannis Baratheon's army when they attack King's Landing. He survives a deep wound to his face after Joffrey orders one of his guards to kill him.
- He earns his freedom from his captors Catelyn Stark and Lysa Arryn by demanding a trial by combat. It is where we are introduced to Bronn, a great fighter and sell-sword. Thus starts the long association between the two.
6. Master negotiatorHe never forgets to remind people how "the Lannisters always pay their debts" when he is about to avail their service.
When ambushed by the hill tribes, Tyrion saves himself and Bronn by reasoning with the barbarians that they would only get little gold by killing the two. Instead, if they joined him in his father's battle, they would gain the lands of Vale.
7. Only Lannister to be kind to Sansa StarkTyrion was the only non-Stark who showed genuine kindness towards Sansa Stark, unlike Petyr Baelish who had ulterior motives for every help he provided her.
- He stepped into the courtroom right on time to stop Ser Meryn Trant from tearing off Sansa's clothes at the orders of Joffrey, severely rebuking the psycho king for such dishonourable behaviour with a lady.
- Tyrion never forced Sansa to consummate their marriage, in spite of constant pressure from his father Tywin Lannister.
8. He Gets His RevengeUnlike all other characters who gets tortured and betrayed, Tyrion is the only one who truly succeeds in getting revenge against those who wrong him. And a really quick one!
- Tyrion strangles his lover-whore Shae for giving false witness against him and convicting him of Joffrey's killer.
- Then he goes on to shoot his father Tywin Lannister for always hating him for being a dwarf and allowing him to be sentenced for execution in spite of his innocence.